Welcome to episode 7 of the Bootstrap Digital Marketing Podcast. Listen to our newest episode below or read the blog post.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Press Release?
- What Is the Purpose of a Press Release?
- 1. Get your story out there.
- 2. Build credibility and trust
- 3. It’s great for SEO
- 4. Get published faster.
- 5. Press releases help generate leads and create opportunities for partnerships/collaborations.
- The best length for a Press Release
- How to write a press release for a technology product announcement
- Best Practices for Sending a Technology Press Release
- In Summary
What Is a Press Release?
A press release is an electronic document distributed to the media to get attention and coverage for a product, company, or event. For example, press releases can help a technology startup quickly get the word out about its product or services.
What Is the Purpose of a Press Release?
There are many reasons to release a press release. The most common reasons are to announce a new product, update the public on a current product, or announce changes to the company.
Technology startups use press releases to build a better picture of their company and product. Getting the word out about new products, updates, and developments is also great.
I’ll outline five reasons you should use press releases and give tips on writing one.
1. Get your story out there.
The first reason to send a targeted press release is it’s one of the best ways to get your story out there and reach a wider audience. A good press release can help you build relationships with journalists, leading to your company or product coverage. At the very least, your release will be published on various news sites. And at the very best, a journalist will develop a unique story about your company or product based on the press release. You can also generate leads from your target audience.
2. Build credibility and trust
In addition to building relationships with journalists, you can also build trust with potential customers and investors by releasing information about your company and product in a controlled and professional way. This Trust Factor is essential for any startup technology company looking to raise money or expand its operations. A well-crafted press release will also help you control the narrative about your company.
3. It’s great for SEO
When it comes to SEO (search engine optimization), getting published in high-authority news and blog outlets is one of the best things you can do for your Website’s rankings. This is because these publications often include press releases as part of their site content, which boosts your Website’s SEO. To ensure that your press release appears high in search engine results, include backlinks to your Website in the release. Getting links on high authority sites to your Website is a staple of inbound SEO. It also ensures that people are directed to your site.
4. Get published faster.
A technology press release can help you spread the word about important product updates or new launches faster. In addition, you can reach a broad audience quickly and efficiently by strategically selecting the right media outlets.
Another reason why using press releases is important for technology startups is that they often have more newsworthy stories than larger companies do. They’re constantly innovating and exploring new territory, so it’s not unusual for them to break the news.
Because of this, getting published quickly can be crucial for getting exposure for your products or services, especially if they’re new or innovative.
5. Press releases help generate leads and create opportunities for partnerships/collaborations.
One of the great things about being in the tech industry – particularly when it comes to startups – is that there are always opportunities for partnerships/collaborations with other businesses or individuals within the tech sphere (whether this is sharing resources or joint ventures).
By having a solid press release strategy, you’ll be better positioned to take advantage of these opportunities when they arise.
So there are plenty of reasons technology startups should be using press releases – capturing journalists’ attention, expanding their reach beyond their current customer base, building trust among consumers, or garnering interest from potential investors.
But before anything else happens, ensure that your story is ready to go by following these simple tips on writing a great press release.
The best length for a Press Release
Ideally, press releases should be between 500 and 1,000 words. However, the length of a press release depends on the product type and the media’s specific needs. Generally, shorter releases are used for newsworthy products, while more extended releases are used for products with more technical information.
How to write a press release for a technology product announcement
To write a technology startup press release about a new product, start by gathering all the information you need to tell your story. This includes:
- A brief overview of the product.
- How it will improve people’s lives or benefit other companies.
- Why it matters.
- What benefits does the product offer over competitors?
Once you have this information, begin drafting your release by following these general tips:
- Start with an introduction that grabs the reader’s attention and sets the tone for your article. Be concise and to the point.
- State your main points in bullet form so readers can easily follow along. Use active voice and short sentences.
- Stay focused on why your product differs from everyone else on the market and what makes it better than its competitors. Avoid jargon or technical terms unless they are essential to your story.
- Include a quote from a company founder; if a partnership is announced, an excerpt from the collaborating company adds further credibility.
- Use charts, graphs, and other visual aids to make your points more easily understood. Remember to keep quotations brief and use inline citations for sources if needed.
- End with a conclusion summarizing your article and reiterating key points. Take advantage of headings, lists, and subheadings to break your text into easy-to-read sections.
- Be sure to include contact information for those interested in learning more about the product or software and links to additional resources where readers can know more about it.
Best Practices for Sending a Technology Press Release
There are several different ways to send a press release. However, the most common way is to send it through email.
However, most technology startups don’t have an expansive email database, so it might be worth considering using a newswire service to send out your press release. Many platforms, such as Newsfile or Cision, will help you format your release and choose the right media outlets.
Once your press release is published, share a link and key points from the messaging to your social media channels. Don’t just share it once— a well-written press release can generate awareness and draw traffic to your Website for years to come.
Maintaining a good press release schedule is vital; make sure to send out new releases regularly.
Press releases are one of the fastest ways to get the word out about your technology startup. Issuing a technology startup press release enables the media and potential collaborators to learn about your new company or new products and updates. In addition, you can build relationships with journalists and get important stories written about your startup to better position yourself for growth.